Friday, March 14, 2014

The Way of the Future

Sometimes I get caught up in social media. Whether I’m checking out my Facebook, re-tweeting a funny political comment, instagramming my most recent workout, or checking in to see who has viewed my profile on LinkedIn, I’m always reaching for my phone to check the next thing. I know that social media is here and here to stay, but sometimes I think we forget about the best part of live interaction.

I was at dinner last night with a friend, there were a lot of people waiting and I happened to notice a young couple standing behind our table. They weren’t married, but it was so awkward to watch them stand there. Both of them had cell phones out and were ‘checked out’ of their relationship. I kept looking at them waiting for one of them to put the phone down and have a conversation. It seemed like the girl was ready to have a conversation at several points and the guy was totally wrapped up in his phone.

It made me sad to think that is the world we live in. I certainly don’t want to give up social media, but I also feel it is important to recognize the balance that there are people in our world who deserve attention.

My mom always used to say to me, “Michelle, if the President was here or if so-and-so were here, you wouldn’t even pick up your phone. I’m a real person with you here, talk to ME!” Of course, I’m sure this point rings true for most of us. We often forget that the real people in front of us deserve the attention we aren’t always so readily willing to give. Despite the ease of communication using social media, I believe it is important to remember the most rich form of communication is face to face interaction.


Enjoy social media, but not at the expense of a real person! Happy blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment